The wonderful Jet Set Brunette nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award! So I get this lovely picture which, if you click on it, will take you to the blog post where she nominated me, and you can read another lovely blog. Go ahead and do that. I’ll wait. (But do come back, because there’s more to this post than that.)
The One Lovely Blog Award nominations are chosen by bloggers for newer or up-and-coming fellow bloggers. The goal is to help give recognition and to also help the new blogger reach more viewers. It also recognizes blogs that are considered to be “lovely” by the blogger who chose them. This award acknowledges bloggers who share their story or thoughts in a beautiful manner to connect with their viewers and followers. In order to “accept” the award the nominated blogger must follow several guidelines.
The guidelines for the One Lovely Blog Award are:
- Thank the person who nominated you for the award.
- Add the One Lovely Blog Award logo to your post and/or blog.
- Share 7 facts/or things about yourself.
- Nominate 15 bloggers you admire and inform nominees by commenting on their blog
Here are Seven Things You Didn’t Know You Wanted to Know About Me
- We had a dog when I was growing up, and I had a cat adopt me when I was a single gal living alone, and I love animals, but I don’t have any pets right now. My next door neighbour has two cats, however, and they visit me often, so I get all the enjoyment of pet ownership without the inconveniences or expense.
- I am Canadian. My husband is English (and now also Canadian). We met in Australia. I am writing the story of how that happened, and will publish it somewhere one day.
- I got laid off from my job in 2013, and have spent 2014 attending The Writers’ Studio, a part-time, yeaer-long, non-credit program in creative writing. It has revolutionized how I think about writing, how I approach it, and how I do it. (Applications currently being accepted for the 2015 cohort, for those of you in the Vancouver, BC area. This is in-person, hanging-with-your-tribe kind of learning.)
- I have to go back to work soon, to have a steady source of income until the copyediting / proofreading and/or the writing business earns enough. (Most Canadian writers have a day job and/or multiple writing-related streams of income. It’s just how the economics work.) I will miss having so much free time, but I will enjoy being around other humans more.
- I love food, and I sometimes enjoy cooking, but in general I’d rather read than cook. I’m married to a man who loves beer (he’s studying to become a cicerone), and he would almost always rather drink the stuff in a place with atmosphere than at home. Because of my laziness and his excellent palate, we eat in restaurants a fair bit.
- We met while travelling, and travelling for pleasure is still one of our favourite things. We visited the Maritimes and Newfoundland this year, and are off to South Africa in April, with my parents.
- I have wonderful parents, who have been married to each other for 56 years. They are healthy and active, and I love spending time with them. They made mistakes enough as parents, I suppose, but they produced a functional, contributing adult to society, and we have a loving, functional family. My in-laws are pretty great too, but I prefer my parents. 😉
And now for Fifteen Bloggers to Nominate! (with apologies if duplicates anyone else’s nomination)
- More thoughts, vicar? – Caroline is a wife, mother of teens and Rector in the Church of England who blogs about all of those things and more.
- Learning to Thrive in 1455 – That’s apartment 1455, not some Middle Ages blog (though that would be fascinating). For me, Tyler is a lovely reminder of the promise of youth.
- Aspects of Style – A Greek expat currently living near Boston shares gorgeous photos, interesting observations, and good humour.
- French Touch in Cebu – Another expat, this one French, and living in the Philippines. Refers (lovingly) to her kids as “the Attilas”.
- Stories Unfolded – Bookworm and writer. How could I not love this blog? (I see she’s already been nominated, so this is a duplication. Is that cheating? Don’t care.)
- Vintage 1956 – A self-described “very mature” student at the beginning of an educational journey through creative writing. She also lives in a tiny, gorgeous village in Wales.
- JaneyDoe57 – She loves talking about herself in the third person, and she writes with humour and candour. She will refuse this honour, but I don’t care. You should go read her anyway.
- Not Another Tall Blog – This six-foot-four Brit blogs about fashion, parenting, rock music, and learning to ride a bike as an adult. And serious things, too.
- Of Itchy Feet and Beyond – A travel blog with gorgeous photos.
- Tantoverde: Simple. Delicious. Vegetarian. – Food, travel, literature, philosophy. Fabulous photography, too.
- The Accidental Texan – Another expat blog, this one from a longtime Arizona, suddenly transplanted to the Dallas-Forth Worth area. If you don’t laugh when you read her, please check your pulse.
- Lucile de Godoy, On Life – Brazilian/Dutch woman living in Amsterdam, writing about all manner of things that touch her life, and taking photos of them, too.
- Phoenix Grey – Reader, writer, dreamer. Part of my tribe!
- Urban Flower Girl – Thoughts, ideas and reviews from a Parkdale Nature Geek
- Transitionally Speaking – Transitioning from life in the city to dwelling in the North Woods (Minnesota), told in in words and images.
Big thanks to Courtney, who nominated me (a few days later) for a Liebster Award, another blogging peer-to-peer award. Click on her name (or the big button below) to see her post and interesting stuff about her, and refer to the above for my acceptance speech. (I don’t have time to write another one right now, sorry Courtney!)