In addition to being part of the One Stop for Writers street team, I’m also part of the Beta Testing Team. We got our brief from the developer, Lee Powell (who also developed Scrivener, which I, and a cadre of other writers, love an adore), last week and I’ve been poking around in the site, testing links and functions, and generally having a good time in the sandbox.
I’m having fun, and I’m excited for the launch. Here are some reasons why you might be, too:
- If you’ve ever used the Emotion Thesaurus or any of Writers Helping Writers‘ other thesauruses (or thesauri, as One Stop calls them), you’ll love One Stop’s Thesaurus Library, comprising eleven different reference resources to help you find the right description, metaphor, or comparator for that telling detail about your character, setting, or situation. It’ll help you avoid cliché and help you come up with a fresh metaphor, and it will let you make and save your own notes on any thesaurus entry, and access them in a couple of ways.
- If you’re a plotter, you’ll appreciate in The Stacks, whose wealth of editable and saveable templates, questionnaires, worksheets, and flowcharts will help you design well-rounded characters, richly detailed settings and physical descriptions, and emotional progressions essential to the story. You’ll also appreciate the ability to save numerous worksheets in every category, and create printable PDF’s from them.
- If you use Scrivener for the actual writing, you’ll really appreciate the ability to import One Stop’s PDFs into Scrivener (I put mine in the “Research” folder), so you can have your materials all in one place once you start writing. (Very useful if, like me, you turn off the Internet while you write, to minimize the temptation it presents!)
- If you’re curious but not ready to commit, you’ll appreciate the ability to subscribe by month. If you’re gung-ho, you’ll be glad to know you can buy half a year, or a whole year, of One Stop right away.
- If you’re active on social media, you may enjoy the ability to connect your various networks to One Stop.
- If you’re back-up minded, you’ll appreciate the ability to export your data at any time.
Roll on, October 7th!